If you’ve been reading my blog, you may already be quite familiar with my undying love for chili. But if you’re new here, allow me to enlighten. I once rushed home to a text that I misread as “Netflix and chili?” Imagine my dismay when I realized there was no chili. Only chill. Ugh. Seriously though, I’m a bit of a chili fiend… my week just isn’t complete without it. If there’s one thing I know, it’s chili. I can guarantee you this shredded chicken chili recipe is a keeper!
Don't forget to PIN it for later! ?
I’m all about that meal prep and shredded chicken has become part of my regular routine... it’s always in the fridge ready to go!
With a stock of shredded chicken on hand, this dinner comes together for me in a matter of minutes.
If you aren’t much of a meal planner or prepper, you can quickly boil and shred the chicken before combining all of your chili ingredients or you can go the rotisserie chicken route and shred that up instead.
See! Cooking doesn’t have to be that complicated!
For weeknight dinners, I like to make things that are quick and as simple as possible; this recipe totally fits the bill.
There’s nothing quite as satisfying as mixing a few ingredients together over heat to enjoy a healthy, comforting home cooked meal without having to stress over it.
Using shredded chicken for chili can be a refreshing change from pork or beef. The texture and flavor lend itself nicely to the combination of spices in traditional chili.
While I’ve always loved white chicken chili, this is definitely not that! Try it out and let me know what you think!
Update: to increase serving sizes and make it even lower carbs per serving, I updated the recipe to reflect how I'm currently preparing this at home!
Instead of 2 chicken breasts, we use four large chicken breasts. There was so much sauce that it made sense to stretch the recipe a tad bit more. As a result, the shredded chicken chili recipe can easily feed a family with leftovers, and it's a bit more keto friendly per serving. Don't worry though, if you are married to the original version of the recipe, just use two breasts instead of four.
You can even use the leftovers as filling for these delicious low carb hand pies!
↓ Be sure to watch the shredded chicken chili recipe video! ↓
- Prepare chicken by boiling chicken breasts in water or broth on stovetop for 10-12 minutes, just barely covered in liquid. Once the meat is no longer pink, remove from fluid and shred with two forks. This same technique can also be used with a pressure cooker at pressure for 5 minutes with a natural release, or a slow cooker for 4-6 hours. Whatever’s clever for you! Rotisserie chicken meat can be substituted for the breasts as well.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the shredded chicken, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and jalapeno to the pot and combine by gently stirring over the burner. Bring to a boil, then drop it down to a simmer over medium-low heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- Cut cream cheese into small, 1-inch chunks.
- Remove lid and mix in the cream cheese. Increase the heat back up to medium-high and continue to stir until the cream cheese is completely blended in. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat as-is or garnish with toppings of your choice. I love cilantro and Monterey jack cheese for ooey gooey goodness.
Hi, I'm Tasha–nutritionist, recipe developer, and multi-published author dedicated to helping people thrive and succeed using low carb and keto dietary patterns.