When I was growing up, my mom made hand pies stuffed with chili as a special treat for us every fall. She detested cooking, but baking always seemed to light her right up. I thought it was magical watching her work, carefully crafting her infamously flaky pie dough and meticulously constructed hand pies for us to devour later in the evening. Delicate pastries wrapped around a warm savory filling sends me straight back to the good ol’ days. Once the weather started cooling down after the heat of the summer, I knew I had to recreate this childhood favorite. Enter low carb hand pies.
Don’t forget to PIN it for later! ?
Unlike my mother, I’ve never been much of a baker. I love to cook, but have yet to develop the patience to master the art of baking. If my mom ever reads this, she is going to totally flip when she sees what I used for the pie dough (…hi mom!).
The Keto Low Carb Hand Pies Recipe
I used the Fathead pizza dough recipe for the hand pies! This cheese-based dough was an excellent low carb pastry dough for two main reasons.
- You don’t have to be a skilled baker to pull these off. The Fathead pizza dough recipe is incredibly forgiving; if you can turn the oven on and follow the gist of a recipe, then you totally got this. If I can do it, you can do it.
- Its super low in carbs. For something that looks like a crust and tastes like a crust, it’s surprising how minimal the carb count is. The only flour used in the dough is almond flour, so it is also gluten-free.
In true “love to bake, hate to cook” spirit, my mom would use canned chili to fill her homemade pie dough. I literally can’t even. I just love chili too much to think of pouring it out of a can. Not to mention most canned chili is crazy high in the carb department (even the kind without beans). I used my keto chili recipe to stuff the low carb hand pies instead.
Mom would make huge batches of hand pies and whatever we didn’t eat that night, she froze. We could pop them in the microwave after we got home from school or have a quick, easy dinner ready to go in minutes. I feed a hungry houseful every time I cook, so I’ve never actually had leftovers when I’ve made these… they disappear quickly because everyone loves them! But if you’re cooking for one or two, you could easily freeze the extra hand pies for nights you don’t feel like cooking but still need a keto friendly meal.
Just like mom used to make (kind of)!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt mozzarella and cream cheese in the microwave for 60 seconds.
- Stir almond flour and egg in with the melted cheese mixture to form the dough.
- Wet your hands to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands and evenly divide into 6 balls of dough.
- Keeping fingers wet, press each ball of dough into a flat circle about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of chili onto the center of the dough, leaving the outer edges free of filling.
- Fold dough over the filling and press edges together. Strengthen the seal by crimping the edges with your fingertips or using the back of a wet fork.
- Repeat with each ball of dough until all hand pies are formed. Poke holes in the tops of hand pies with wet fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until dough becomes golden.
- Let cool before serving.
Hey babe! I’m Tasha, the lady behind Ketogasm. I love to get creative in the kitchen, geek out on nutritional science, and help badass ladies like you transition to a keto lifestyle. Whether you are healing with food or transforming that beautiful body of yours, I hope you find the resources on this site to be helpful along your way!