Have you ever eaten something so good it makes you cuss? If not, I have to warn you: my roasted okra fries recipe is F-bomb inducing. Don't eat these around the little ones! I love roasted okra in any shape or form, but paired with the spice combo of smoked paprika, sea salt, and garlic? Get. Outta. Town. Holy [expletive], it's so [expletive] good. I could attempt to describe exactly how delicious they are, but I'm afraid it would just be a long string of celebratory swearword gibberish, and I'd get an angry phone call from my mom.
Instead, I'll give you my coveted recipe for roasted okra fries so you can see for yourself!
Don't forget to PIN it for later!
How to roast okra?
A good temperature for roasting okra is 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 400 degrees F is like the Goldilocks of roasting veggies - not too hot, not too cold, juuuust right. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
You can trim the stems from your okra, but I tend to leave them on for aesthetic purposes. I just like the way it looks! Since I take pictures of almost all of my food, I'm sure you understand. Once the okra is roasted, the stem softens and kind of melds into the rest of the okra anyways. You can totally eat it and be just fine. As far as life decisions and recipe success go, this is relatively insignificant. Do whatever makes you feel good and just go with it.
Coat everything in olive oil and sprinkle a little garlic powder, sea salt, and paprika over the top. Space all the okra pieces out, so they aren't overlapping or crowded, then pop them in the oven for 10 minutes. Stir them around, flip them, space them out again, then pop them back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Done!
Eating Okra on Keto
Okra only has 4.25 grams of net carbohydrates per 100 grams. It's loaded with Vitamin A and potassium, making it an excellent source of important micronutrients you don't want to miss out on.
Loads of people are apprehensive about eating vegetables or fruit on keto, because of the carb counts. While there are certainly some high carb fruits and veggies, okra is not one of them. Prepared without the usual carb-loaded ingredients, okra is a perfectly keto friendly vegetable option. So enjoy your roasted okra fries!
Looking for other keto vegetable recipes?
Check out some of these posts:
- Keto Vegetables List
- Keto Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Baked Stuffed Celery
- Sesame Cucumber Noodle Salad
- Low Carb Egg in a Nest
- Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
- Low Carb Keto Chicken Tetrazzini
The Roasted Okra Fries Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut okra into halves or quarters. Trim the stem if you prefer.
- Spread the okra out in a single layer on a large baking sheet, use two if needed. Drizzle olive oil over the okra and toss to thoroughly coat. Add sea salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika over the top. Take time to space the okra so they aren't crowded or overlapping; this will help the vegetable roast evenly vs. steaming.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Stir, flip, and re-space the okra on the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the okra is as crisp as you like it. I prefer it to have a browned, crisp outer coating and pull it out before it becomes charred.
Hi, I'm Tasha–nutritionist, recipe developer, and multi-published cookbook author.