Football season is upon us. I'm not a sports person, so for me, this means next to nothing besides dodging carb-loaded game day snacks and listening to my friends yell at the tv. Although indulgent, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers are usually a safe bet as party food goes. My low carb jalapeno poppers recipe kicks the flavor up a level by adding one of my favorite "ingredients": smoke.
Don't forget to PIN it for later! ?
This simple recipe will impress all of your friends. If you whip these up for your next gathering, not only will everyone think you're a total rockstar, they'll probably text you relentlessly until you divulge your recipe. If you're single, you might even get a marriage proposal (or two) out of the deal. They're that good.
Unless all your friends are vegan, this low carb jalapeno popper recipe will win you nothing but praise.
If you're not trying to be indulgent but still want a delicious, low carb party appetizer, you could sub in turkey bacon and a reduced fat or fat-free cream cheese to dramatically cut the fat and calories down. After all, with all the bacon and cream cheese this recipe could easily be considered somewhat of a fat bomb. If you're trying to lose fat, limit the bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers to game day, parties, or special occasions instead of your day to day routine.
They're so good you'll want to eat them 24/7, but that likely wouldn't support your body composition goals. Common sense, yes. But I always feel obligated to make a public service announcement every time I post a calorically dense recipe just in case.
The Low Carb Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
The low carb jalapeno poppers recipe is super easy. The jalapenos are cut in half length-wise, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, and then thrown in the smoker. It's honestly that simple!
After cutting the jalapenos in half, you'll want to take special care to remove all of the seeds. The seeds are where the majority of the spicy heat comes from; rogue jalapeno seeds may not sit well with your guests!
I use 12 raw jalapenos, 12 ounces of thinly sliced, uncured bacon, and 8 ounces of cream cheese. These amounts will result in two dozen jalapeno poppers, so be sure to adjust accordingly. Be sure to check out these loaded fauxtato skins for another excellent game day option!
- 12 jalapenos whole, raw
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 12 oz bacon uncured, thinly sliced
- HIckory wood chips/pellets or choice of wood
- Start smoker with hickory wood or wood of your choice. Set at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice each jalapeno in half length-wise.
- Scrape the insides out, taking care to remove all seeds.
- Evenly divide cream cheese between each jalapeno half. This will be 9.5 grams of cream cheese, or roughly 2 teaspoons, per jalapeno. Smooth and level out the cream cheese with a knife.
- Wrap each jalapeno half with a half slice of bacon. Pierce the center with a toothpick to hold the meat in place.
- Place the bacon wrapped jalapenos in the smoker and smoke for 1 hour.
Hi, I'm Tasha–nutritionist, recipe developer, and multi-published cookbook author.